The role of key management in securing critical infrastructure
February 21, 2023 By Jason Van der Meer
The protection of physical keys in critical infrastructure should be an organization’s primary importance.
Physical keys are often the only way to access critical assets and secure areas within a facility. As such, the security of these keys must be the top priority for any organization seeking to protect its assets and ensure the safety and security of its employees and facilities. Unfortunately, many organizations fail to take necessary precautions to correctly secure their physical keys, putting themselves at risk of theft, loss or unauthorized access to sensitive areas.
The risks associated with an unsecured critical asset are significant. A lost or stolen key can allow unauthorized individuals to access secure areas and critical assets. This can result in theft, damage or even harm to employees. In an equally worst-case scenario, an unsecured critical asset can become a security breach, putting sensitive information or infrastructure at risk.
The costs associated with an unsecured critical asset are also substantial. The replacement of a lost or stolen key can be time-consuming and expensive, requiring the re-keying of locks and the replacement of keys. This process can be an ongoing expense if the keys are not secured properly. Additionally, if a critical asset is stolen, the cost of replacement and any damage to the asset can be significant.
The replacement of a lost or stolen key can be time-consuming and expensive, requiring the re-keying of locks and the replacement of keys.
The value of a secure electronic key management system for managing access to critical keys cannot be overstated. An intelligent system provides organizations with the tools they need to secure their critical assets, minimize downtime searching for keys or assets, and reduce the risk of theft or loss.
How can an electronic key management system help keep critical assets secure?
- Real-time tracking of key access: A secure key management system provides real-time tracking of who has access to what keys and when, allowing organizations to monitor key usage and detect and prevent unauthorized access.
- Elimination of manual processes: A secure key management system eliminates the need for manual processes, such as manual key sign-out sheets, reducing the risk of errors and improving efficiency.
- Quick and easy key management: A secure key management system allows organizations to quickly and easily update or change key access permissions, without the need to physically re-key locks.
- Real-time reporting and analytics: A secure key management system provides real-time reporting and analytics, allowing organizations to make informed decisions about their key management processes.
- Seamless integration with existing security systems: A secure key management system can be integrated with existing security systems, providing a seamless solution that meets an organization’s specific security needs.
- Configuration options for different departments: A secure key management system can be configured to meet the needs of different departments within an organization, providing each department with the level of security and access control they require.
- Cost savings: A secure key management system can significantly reduce the time and cost required for key management, including the replacement of lost or stolen keys, and can minimize downtime caused by lost or stolen keys.
The safeguarding of critical infrastructure is paramount in ensuring a company’s assets, employees, facilities and customers stay protected. A secure key management system provides organizations with the tools they need to secure their critical assets, minimize downtime, and reduce the risk of theft or loss. Whether it’s for access control to secure areas, tracking of equipment, or ensuring that sensitive information is secure, a secure key management system provides organizations with the peace of mind they need to manage their assets with confidence.
Jason Van der Meer is the General Manager – Oceania for Traka.
Print this page
- Interface Systems unveils new brand identity
- Eagle Eye Networks announces integration with Advancis PSIM platform