Insights from a survey commissioned by PlumChoice, a provider of technical services for IoT and Cloud brands, and the Z-Wave Alliance, have found “consumers see more clearly how home smart devices can directly benefit their lives, and are planning to purchase more smart home devices in the future”.
By SP&T Staff
This second annual consumer benchmark survey, titled, “2016: Year of the Smart Device,” also highlights the need for companies to provide consumers a user experience that allows their smart home devices to fit easily into their lives.
The report says it “helps device makers and their partners understand current connected and smart home device ownership, interest in future purchases and perceived smart home device benefits” In addition, it outlines the services that brands can tie to these products to drive more revenue and consumer loyalty.
Other key findings include:
• 52 per cent of all respondents plan to buy a smart device in the next two years.
• Of those who own smart devices, 84 per cent said they may make another smart purchase in the next two years.
• The majority of consumers report owning a total of four to six smart home devices and 61 per cent have interconnected some of those devices. Interoperability becomes a key factor as consumers add more connected devices.
• Smart appliances (smart refrigerator, washer/dryer, etc.) and smart smoke detectors are among the smart home products with the highest year-over-year growth, with 267 per cent and 250 per cent respectively.
• All types of services and support expected from brands increased since 2015, with installation support listed as a top need (68 per cent).
The survey also examined consumer behaviour – including purchase drivers and rate of adoption – of homeowners compared to renters, along with comparisons between age, gender and current device owners.
“The smart home industry is thriving, and many companies are recognizing that their success is dependent on a seamless consumer user experience,” said Noelani McGadden, vice-president of IoT at PlumChoice. “Last year was a pivotal year for the smart home industry, with the number of people who own a smart device increasing by a staggering 259 per cent. As smart home device adoption continues to grow, brands must cater to consumers who are expecting support services as part of their purchase, and at the very least provide installation support.”
To access the full report and accompanying graphics, click here.