SP&T News

Nova Scotian thanks Calgary dispatcher for warning family about carbon monoxide

CALGARY — A grateful man flew from Nova Scotia to Calgary to say thanks to a home security dispatcher for saving his family from carbon monoxide poisoning.

August 21, 2015  By The Canadian Press


Last spring, Reza Kashiloo says he was hosting relatives in Dartmouth as a storm dumped piles of snow on his home, blocking a vent. Kashiloo and his six guests were asleep when the home’s carbon monoxide detector activated, sending a signal to ADT’s Calgary monitoring centre.

Karen Vastag in the call centre alerted Kashiloo to the danger and contacted the local fire department. She told him to to get his relatives away from the source of the carbon monoxide. When a fire crew arrived they ventilated the house until it was safe.

“Myself, along with my family, we are all thankful,” Kashiloo said Thursday. (CTV Calgary)


Print this page


Stories continue below