Safety and security drone sales to reach $250 million in 2019
According to a new study from The Freedonia Group, “Safety and Security Drones in the U.S.,” safety and security drone sales are expected to nearly double by 2019, reaching $250 million.
In 2016, the study found, U.S. safety and security drone sales totalled $90 million. This includes products and services that are used by commercial and consumer end users, but excludes military drone use.
Additionally, safety and security sales accounted for roughly 20 per cent of the total commercial drone market in 2016.
Between 2019 and 2022, sales are expected to increase more than fourfold, and between 2022 and 2028, sales are projected to increase nearly sevenfold, says The Freedonia Group.
The study found that the key factors driving gains in the safety and security drone market are:
• rapidly spreading awareness of the capabilities and benefits of commercial drones, including the option to integrate drones into existing security systems and services to provide actionable intelligence
• declining equipment costs as economies of scale continue to allow manufacturers to produce equipment more efficiently and as broader demand for sensors and specialized equipment eases current supply shortages
• ongoing development into more specialized solutions in all segments of the industry, which will help address customers’ key needs and provide additional applications for use
• expanding capabilities of drone systems to quickly gather data for safety and security applications
• evolving industry regulations that will help remove grey areas in the legality of operation and encourage wider adoption among potential end users
• desire among end users to reduce labour costs and rely on more highly automated, often more accurate systems
• number of ways to leverage drone technology to complement existing electronic security systems
February 27-28, 2018